What makes a house a home? When it comes to your home it is important that you feel safe and comfortable and one of the best ways of achieving this is by working on the interior. Interior design is a complex subject and requires focus on the small things and an eye for detail.
One of the most important things in terms of the small things is the furnishings. Furnishings are required in all rooms but none more so then the living room and the bedroom.
When it comes to the living room and bedroom one of the best things that you can do is focus on the fabrics used, fabrics are used for curtains, covers and pillow cases but one of their most important uses is as blankets.
Blankets can provide a sense of comfort in a way that nothing else seems to be able to quite compete with. The blanket is a multipurpose house accessory, not only is it an emotional comforter but it can also allow you to keep warm in times of illness or cold.
How Many Types of Blanket Are There?
When it comes to choosing blankets for their home most people make the mistake of assuming that a blanket is a blanket and that is all that there is to it. This could not be further from the truth there are in fact a range of blankets differing in purpose, style and size amongst other things.
These blankets include:
- A throw blanket
- A comforter
- A weighted blanket
- A duvet
- A quilt
- A knitted blanket
The above list is by no means exhaustive however it does start to give an insight into the wide variety available on the market and the massive differences between them. For instance a comforter is small in size and usually exists for emotional purposes, especially comforting children.
However, on the other end of the spectrum a duvet is the same size as your whole bed and exists to meet more practical purposes such as temperature control during the winter.
So What Exactly Is A Throw?
A throw is a fantastic choice of blanket depending on the purpose that you intend on using it for. Throws are usually small in size and interestingly the vast majority of throws are in fact the exact same size.
The standard size for any throw is 50 inches by 60 inches. Having said this they can differ for example, if you have a super king size bed then you may be better off purchasing a super king size throw. However, a super king throw is still not as big as a super king duvet and will not cover the whole circumference of the bed.
A throw usually exists to act as an extra layer on either the bed or the sofa. They can be used for decorative, emotional or practical reasons. For instance they may be used as a way of further controlling temperature or to make you feel more safe and secure at night time.
- Decorative– A throw is a decorative piece that can really liven up any room. Adding a brightly colored throw can really make any room pop. Similarly, adding a winter color such an icey blue or brown can make a room feel much cosier. In a bedroom they can add an extra dimension to the boring old duvet and be used to create color contrasts or to match.
- Cheap– Because throws can be made out of a variety of different materials you can usually find one within your price range. For instance, places such as Target and high street stores usually stock them. This means that if you like to change up your home decor or your blankets regularly then throws could be a great way forward.
- Lots Of Designs– As well as having lots of different materials to choose from, throws also come with the added benefit of having lots of different designs to choose from. With millions of designs available on the market you are bound to be able to find one to your taste. Even more so, you can also get them personalised.
- Extra Warmth– Throws can be used to add extra warmth whether it be on top of a duvet or on their own. Depending on the material you choose to go for they can in fact be great for the cold weather.
- Comfort– Regardless of age, everyone knows that a blanket can create great comfort when you are feeling down. A throw is no exception to this rule and can make you feel so much better after a long day.
- One partner Can Use It Without The Other Having To– One of the best things about the size of the throw is that if one of you gets warm while sleeping and the other gets cold this can be a great added layer for just one person to use. For instance you could use a shared low tog duvet and one person could use this to improve their temperature.
- Size– The small size of a throw can make them an impractical blanket for some purposes. For instance when intended to be used as the only blanket on the bed they are not great as they are not usually as big as the bed or as big as the alternative, a duvet, would be.
A throw is a very specific type of blanket which as previously mentioned is usually 50 inches by 60 inches. The material and other characteristics can vary from throw to throw so it is important to read descriptions carefully before purchasing one.
Although throws are not the largest blanket on the market there are many positives that come from deciding to purchase one (or several). It is also important to remember that marketing teams do not always do all of their research so they may inaccurately use the title throw so you should also double check precise measurements before purchasing one.