Mirrors are excellent accessories to add to your home. Not only do they reflect your appearance, but they can make a room look bigger if they are strategically placed.
One such way of doing this is by hanging a mirror from a door. This also allows you to check how you look before you leave a room.
Doors are good places to put your mirrors as they do not take up room and you do not have to worry about damaging your walls.
If you are interested in installing a mirror on your door, please read through the helpful instructions below.
Hanging a door mirror is a straightforward process. In order to complete it, you will need a few basic pieces of equipment. These should be easy to come across and you may already have them in your home. They include:
- A mirror – as you may have already guessed, a mirror will be crucial for this task!
- A door – choosing the right door to hand your mirror from will be essential. This may involve a bit of trial and error.
- Measuring tape (optional) – this will be used to determine the height that you want your mirror to be positioned at.
- A pencil (optional) – this can be used to mark the level that you desire your mirror to hang at.
- Mirror clips – these may be a little harder to find than other items on this list. However, you can get them online and in home improvement stores. You will probably need at least 8 clips for a long rectangular mirror.
- Screws and a screwdriver – these will be crucial for installing the mirror clips.
- Start by deciding where exactly you want the mirror to be on your door. To find this out, hold your mirror up to the door. Move it around and try a few different angles or heights to find the right position for you.
- You should also ensure that you get great lighting on the mirror. Lighting will give you a better look at your own reflection. If the lighting is poor, you might want to try a different door.
- After finding the ideal spot for your mirror, make a note of this location. One method of doing this is to use a measuring tape to calculate the height you want the mirror to be at. Another way of doing this is by gently marking the highest and lowest points of the mirror onto your door with a pencil. You can use an eraser to rub this out. However, if you are concerned about permanently marking the door, such as if you are renting, this may not be the best method for you.
- Make sure that you put the mirror in the center of the door. Though doing an off-center mirror can give you a bohemian vibe, it can also look as though this was accidental. Because of this, it is a good idea to measure the width of the door to find the central point. This can be done by using the aforementioned measuring tape and pencil.
One of the best ways to attach your mirror to a door is to mount it. You can purchase clips that are specifically designed for mirrors.
- Begin screwing your mirror clips into the door. Hold the clip against the door with a screw. Then, begin using the screwdriver to twist the screw in. It is best to start from the bottom. Here, you should use at least two clips. However, if your mirror is larger or heavier, you should use more than this. Use the measurements that you obtained earlier to know where to position your clips.
- Now put your mirror into these clips. This will help you put the remaining clips on. Bear in mind that the clips will not be enough to hold the mirror at the moment. You may struggle to hold the mirror in place and install the rest of the clips at the same time. As a result, it may be advantageous to ask a family member, friend, or neighbor to help you. Otherwise, your mirror could fall and break.
- Install clips at either side of the mirror. This should be done roughly a third of the way down the mirror. Then, fit two more clips at opposite sides of the mirror. These should be approximately two-thirds of the way up.
- Finally, fit two clips at the top of the mirror. After this, the clips should be durable enough to support your mirror. If you are concerned that they will not be strong enough, such as because your mirror is very heavy, feel free to add more clips. After this, you can enjoy the mirror that hangs from your door.
Found in home improvement shops or online, you can buy over-the-door mirror hangers. These will be advantageous to you if you are reluctant to make dents in your door. These will be less versatile than other options, as they only suit certain doors and mirrors.
Aside from this technique, you can also use adhesive strips to hang your mirror. These will be less secure than mirror clips, though they are very cost-effective.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Constitutes A Heavy Mirror?
Heavy mirrors will not be as simple to hang from your door. They may require more support. Otherwise, they can fall and crack. Generally, a heavy mirror will be over 25lbs.
Do You Need To Use Mirror Clips To Hang A Door?
No. As proven by this list, there are other methods you can pursue. However, mirror clips are advised since they are more firm and stable than other techniques.
Mirror clips can also be purchased for low prices.
Are Screws Or Nails Better For Hanging Mirrors?
Though both can be used, screws will be the optimal choice. The reason for this is that they are more powerful.
Hanging mirrors from doors can save you space and look really elegant. Though it may seem like a difficult bit of DIY to do, it can be easy when you follow the instructions above.
Using these instructions, you will be able to enhance the decor of your home.